Loneliness or the feeling of being abandoned, unwanted, alienated, worthless is too common these days. Loneliness isn’t restricted by age, gender, marital status, financial well being or job title. In fact, the people at the top are the most lonely. But isn’t it strange that in the world of Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Viber etc. where Social media has played the role of cupid in bringing people together, still allow pangs of loneliness to creep in. The usual chirpy person in the world may be lonely inside. That Facebook friend of yours who regularly updates pictures and check-ins may be just as lonely as well. Even in company of thousand people, one can be lonely.
Studies have proved that lack of personal interaction, over indulgence in social media, frantic work life, materialistic lifestyle, lack of self worth, inferiority complex are few of the reasons for thriving such a feeling.
Though it is difficult to address loneliness but small proactive steps can come in handy. Following are a few remedies that one can adopt to wipe out this menace:
1. Pamper yourself: You and only you can help fight loneliness. Take yourself out for a movie or a solo date or a spa session or some football match or a boisterous rock concert. Do anything to eliminate the chain of negative thinking.
2. Establish the cause: Loneliness may creep in due to unknown reasons. Your friends or work life or failed relationship or low self worth, perhaps? Your loved ones inadvertently may be making you feel lonely. Being aware of the cause can only help you get over it.
3. Meet up: Its very important to socialize in this world. Meeting new people, getting an insight in their life may envisage that there are thousands who instantly want to exchange places with you. An invigorating air of life may be waiting to unleash from a happy soul.
4. Limit your time on social media: No doubt that social media has bridged the gap between the world but it has brought distance between the loved ones. People have lost that feeling of calling or meeting people for a cup of tea/coffee. You are all engrossed on your cell phone when your mother/grand parents are waiting to be loved. Value life, clock is ticking!
5. Indulge in social cause: Imagine what the world would be like if people only lived for themselves. Helping the unfortunate not only gets you blessings but instantly fills you with immense gratitude and will drift your mind away from despondency. Nothing can be more satisfying than helping the needy and down trodden. But remember, charity begins at home. Start spending quality time with your old grand parents and not so old ‘parents’.
6. Wander away: Well I din’t mean a jungle or Himalayas, but just somewhere calm and peaceful where you can get a new breathe of life. Adopting public transport can be very useful if you are a good observer. Company of strangers and changed environment wanes away loneliness and cures your wanderlust as well.
7. Regular Exercise: Isn’t it hilarious coming from a person like me? Still guys, any form of physical activity, be it running, jogging, brisk walking, dancing, sports, swiftly makes you feel good. Along with the sweat, goes off loneliness and sad thoughts. It invigorates you in no time and elevates your mood.
8. Collect your friends and get lost for a day: Not literally! Just have a blast with your friends. By friends, I mean true friends. Not the ones who make you feel lonely. Hit the theatre, fill your shopping bags, eat your heart out, get that favorite accessory that you were long waiting for, just do anything that warms up your heart. Live the day as if its your last.
9. Watch comedy shows: To all the ’Naagin’ and ‘Sasural Simar Ka’ fans out there, God bless your soul. I am still trying to decipher who gets you hooked to these unending and highly illogical dramas. Get a good collection of shows like Sarabhai v/s Sarabhai, The Kapil Sharma Show, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, veterans like Dekh Bhai Dekh etc. It will promptly refresh you and will give you that feel good factor. After all, laughter is still the best medicine.
10. Subscribe to motivational videos: Who doesn’t need motivation? We all do! Ted Talks is a must. It’s inciting and edifying. It really helps when you see people from different walks of life shell their hearts out on a public platform. Their struggles, pain, victory and perseverance suddenly relates to you.
11. Plan a vacation: A great holiday plan can be the biggest stress buster and cure to loneliness. Get trounced by visiting an exciting place and making the to-do-list. Arrangements like booking a hotel, flights, shopping instantly boosts your spirits and steers off loneliness and monotony.
12. Go creative: Pursue your passion. It’s now or never. Be your creative best. Take out those paint brushes or that football or that old guitar. Follow your heart! Let the artist/sportsman/guitarist or any damn thing get a new lease of life. Dress up like you always wanted to.
Hoping that a small effort on my part will help in shedding loneliness off my readers. But remember, “No pain, no gain”. So, get started.