Habits are the bedrock of our lives’ outcome. Our daily enactments, and eventually our habits and pattern shape us. We either exhibit good habit that accelerates our movement towards our goals or bad ones that sabotage our ability to succeed and excel. One thing is irrefutable: it’s going to be a highly uphill and daunting task to achieve your dreams if you are indulging in a slew of bad habits. Success would take time and a lot of luck and chance.
Knowing when and what to quit is also an art which can always be learned and harnessed with practice over time. Sometimes one needs to stop focusing on what one should be doing but, instead, take an earnest look at the things you should quit doing. Whether it’s a doomed project, an uneventful job or an incompatible relationship, quitting can be a virtue.
Here are the things you should stop doing right now:
1. Quit doubting yourself: Pessimistic thinking and a fear of failure will only augment feelings of uncertainty and dubiousness. If you constantly doubt yourself and question whether your goals are achievable, your negative feelings will overpower your dreams and valor.
2. Lack of action: Procrastination is the biggest enemy of success. Failure to continuously move forward will lead to stagnation and ultimately failure. If you are reluctant to take the next step, you will eventually be overtaken by complacency and inaction. It is required to stop planning and get into action.
3. Enjoying your comfort zone for far too long: Stepping outside your comfort zone means taking a leap of faith and trusting your abilities. You will never realise your true abilities unless you try. Most of the greatest business leaders failed at one point, but none would have tasted success if they hadn’t ventured out of their comfort zone. Remember, with great risk comes the possibility of great reward.
4. Quit thinking that things will automatically fall into place: Everyone desires to think that it’s all going to have perfect ending, but the fact is that you have to make it work. Everything is not going to instinctively work out on its own; you have to be dedicated and proactive for reach your goal.
5. Neglecting your health: You cannot take anything for granted for long-especially your health. Letting yourself fall prey to hazardous health habits like eating poorly, not exercising or being sleep deprived will leave you mentally and physically drained out, stressed and prone to illness.
6. Seeking approvals: Your desire to secure approval from others will only hold you back and slow your progress. At times it’s important to consult others, but you don’t need constant opinions or sanctions from everyone around you. You have to take responsibility of your own actions since success will ultimately be yours.
7. Quitting abnormal persistence: What most people fail to judge is when to let it go. If despite of putting endless efforts to the best of your abilities, something is not going in your favour, it’s time to stop and let it go. Obviously it’s heart breaking to walk away from something that you gave your valuable time and money into but it is the need of the hour.
8. Become self proclaimed and complacent: Failure follows those who think insanely high of themselves and do not educate themselves persistently. No matter how successful you are, you should always be inquisitive to gain deeper insights. Knowledge empowers you to dream bigger and better.
9. Weighed down by failure: Don’t let failure consume you. History has proven that only with consistent and conscious efforts, battles could be won. Rarely people tastes success in solo attempt instead devote your time and energy to assess what went wrong and redeem yourself. Take your failures in your stride, get up again with renewed vigour and conquer the world.
10. Quit saying yes: The more you affirm to everything, the more chances are to experience stress, frustration and depression. Yes, saying no at times is a daunting task but it frees you from superfluous constraints and channelizes your time and energy for other important things in life.
So, quitting at times is necessary. Learn to assess what to do but most importantly what not to do!